Shopping for dog grooming supplies can turn out to be a confusing experience especially for new pet owners or if you are a new dog groomer. You’ve probably seen, heard or read about so many products and dog grooming tools that are considered ‘must haves’ but the truth is that there are just few basic tools you need to have to groom your dog especially since you are not a professional dog groomer. These are some of the basic dog grooming accessories you need for your own regular D.I.Y dog grooming-:
- Brushes-: You will need two types of brushes for your dog; a toothbrush and a hair brush. Brushing your dog’s teeth regularly would give him a fresh breath and prevent tooth decay which can be fatal and lead to eventual death of the dog if not properly managed. You must be careful when choosing a toothbrush for your dog. You should choose something that would do the job perfectly but won’t hurt your dog’s gums. You would also need a hair brush to brush your dog’s fur regularly. Brushing your dog’s fur regularly would stimulate the production of natural oils that would help to prevent the dog’s skin from drying. You would also be able to notice anything unusual on your dog’s skin such as parasites or lumps and you will be able to tackle the issue immediately. When choosing a skin brush for your dog, make sure you choose one that would suit the texture of your dog’s coat and one that your dog would enjoy.
- Dog Shampoo-: You would also need a dog shampoo. The keyword here is DOG shampoo. I have seen so many people use their own human shampoos on their dogs and this is totally wrong. Human shampoo doesn’t contain the right balance of ingredients suitable for dogs and generally has a higher P.H value. The right P.H value for your dog shampoo is 7. You can look out for this on the label of the shampoo before buying it. Another thing to be wary of when choosing your dog shampoo is the ingredients in the shampoo. Shampoos with organic and natural ingredients are safer and better recommended for your pets.
- Nail Trimmers-: Not trimming your dog’s toe nails might be very harmful and lead to painful injuries. Therefore, it is very important to trim your dog’s nails regularly. However, trimming your dog’s nails can be very tricky and you have to be careful so that you do not cut of his vein which is why you have to choose the right nail trimmer for your dog.
- Styptic Powder-: Dogs can be very restless especially during a grooming session and sometimes, injuries occur as a result of this. Styptic powder is a must have because it helps to stop the bleeding whenever there is any injury. It is also useful whenever there is any injury as a result of a general accident.
- Ear Cleaning Solution-: You don’t want your dog down with ear infections so you have to make sure you clean its ears regularly. Regular cleaning of your dog’s ears would also help to prevent unpleasant odors produced by dirty ears. It is recommended that you clean your dog’s ears at least once in a week with a good ear cleansing solution. You should get some cotton wool to wipe away the loosed dirt.
- Dog Towels-: You would also need a towel to dry up your pet after a good wash.
- Flea and Tick Control-: Fleas and ticks on your dog’s skin are not only irritating; they can lead to a number of health problems for your pet if not eliminated quickly. You’ll need to get a flea and tick control product. Some of them come as sprays while some come in form of creams or oils. The most important thing is to choose a product that is safe for your pet and won’t harm his skin.
- Snacks and Dog Treats-: Yes, this is also important. If you want your dog to be relaxed and allow a stress-free grooming session, you should be armed with some treats and snacks that he can munch on while the grooming session is going on. One dog grooming trick that works is to reward your pet with plenty of treats after each grooming session. This would make him more co-operative whenever you want to groom him because he knows that after the discomfort, comes the treats.
You will find all of these products available either on online shopping or your nearby store.
– Thank your from Houston, TX